Why should I book direct instead of via a 3rd party website?
There are a number of reasons why booking with us through our own website or over the phone is better for you as a customer and also for us as a small family business.
- Accurate Descriptions - We don't have 100% control over all the information on some 3rd party booking websites. Details and descriptions aren't always written in a way that we want and therefore sometime vital information can be missed. Our own website has much more detail about pitch descriptions, sizes and what size units can fit on each pitch. Our booking system is also a little more clever and will only show you availability of pitches that your unit will fit on (as long as you select the right unit from the dropdown list). If you make an error and book a pitch via a 3rd party website that is not suitable for the size of your tent / motorhome or caravan we would have to cancel your booking and as the deposit paid is kept by the booking website as their commission we are not able to refund this.
- Allocation - We don't give our full allocation of available pitches to 3rd party booking pages due to the risk of duplicate bookings so sometimes their websites will show us being fully booked when we do still have pitches available.
- Duplicate bookings can still sometimes happen - there is up to a 15 minute delay between a booking being made on a 3rd party website and it being imported onto our booking system. Occasionally when it is the last available pitch for a certain date someone can book direct on our own website at the same time as via a 3rd party website. If this happens the direct booking will take priority and bookings via 3rd party websites will be cancelled.
- Pitch requests - although we never guarantee any pitch requests we do prioritise request made by those who book direct over those made on other websites.
- Admin fees for date changes - if you accidentally book the wrong date we give a 7 day grace period for date changes to bookings made direct, after this our standard £25 admin fee is applicable. However changes to dates for bookings made via 3rd party websites would have to pay the £25 admin fee from day 1 of booking.
- Price - Not many people realise that 3rd party booking websites charge us as a campsite a commission of up to 15% of your booking total. So even though the price looks the same to you, we as a small family business lose 15% of that income. To encourrage more of you to book with us direct we now offer a small discount on bookings made online via our own website when you use the discount code #BOOK-DIRECT
Where is your closest beach?
Polladras Holiday Park is situated in the rural setting four miles from beaches of Cornwall’s south coast and within easy reach of coastal and countryside walks.
It’s in a top spot too for south-west Cornwall explores with Penzance, the lizard peninsula and lands end no more than half an hour’s drive away. Polladras is set over nine acres and has no noisy bar, clubhouse or evening entertainment.
It is an ideal base to stay and be able to visit and explore the many delights of this historic area see Porthleven harbour just 15 minutes drive from Polladras
Some of Cornwall’s finest beaches are only a short drive away, the closes beach is Praa Sands and is just 4 miles
Can we have a BBQ or fire pit?
We allow BBQs and fire pits throughout the park.
For BBQs if they are low to the ground / disposible please make sure you use the blocks provided so the grass doesn't get burnt.
Fire pits can be rented from us or you can bring your own. For more information on fire pit rental CLICK HERE
We also keep a stock of logs, kindling, firelighters and matches available to purchase should you need them.
If you are bringing you own there are a few rules you must follow:
- We can only allow fully self contained fire pits on legs (they must catch / contain all hot ash).
- Please also use the bricks provided at the fire points underneath the fire pit to create a barrier from the heat and the grass otherwise we get scorch marks.
- You MUST have a red fire bucket filled with water & visible AT ALL TIMES, if you don’t have one you can borrow one from us for £2.
- All fire pits must be a safe distance from yours and other peoples tents / awnings. Don’t overload with wood and create big & dangerous fires and be aware of wind direction. If we think your fire is in a dangerous position or out of control we will come and put it out.
- All fires must be put out before bed.
- No hot ash in the bins.
Do you have WIFI?
We offer a FREE wifi service on site. However certain factors out of our control may affect signal strength and consistency so you wont get the same speed as you do in your own home.
Volume of traffic - we have one wifi for our campsite & static and even though we have a good overall download speed we have to limit the download speed per device connected so that there is enough internet for everyone.
Our campsite wifi is therefore intended for emails and general web browsing only and not streaming videos.
We recommend downloading any content / videos before you come away so you can watch them uninterrupted offline whilst staying with us.
Do you have any fully serviced caravan / motorhome pitches?
At this time we do not have any fully serviced pitches.
All of our gold pitches come with electric, we than have shared water points on site where you can fill up fresh water and dispose of your grey waste so make sure you bring your water & waste containers.
For motorhomes we do have a water point that you can drive up next to in order to fill up your on board fresh water tank and also a drive over grate for disposal of grey waste.
Our elsan point is located at the toilet block for disposal of your toilet / black waste.
Can we book as a group of friends / family?
Yes and No
This one isn't a simple questions to answer and anyone travelling as a group must contact us first before making a booking or their bookings may be cancelled.
A group booking by our definition is more then one pitch travelling together OR multiple adults from different families staying on one pitch.
As a general rule we rarely allow more than 2 pitches travelling together to book at the same time unless you are previous customers. And we never allow stag / hen parties.
The reason we ask for contact before booking is due to some unfortunate circumstances in the past where group bookings have been distuptive in the evenings for other guests staying with us. We do realise that single pitch families can also be disruptive but from our experience the most discruption comes from those who don't normally live together at home.
We are primarily a family campsite and want to make sure that those families with children enjoy their holiday with us. We therefore ask that music is turned off and general noise reduced from 10pm. We also ask that when the play park closes at 9pm children go back to their own pitches instead of running around the site late in the evening.
We do however want to make it clear that we do not tell people that they have to go to bed at 10pm, just that you are conscious of how much noise you are making when your neighbours could be in bed already, after all tent walls are VERY thin.
We totally understand that this is your holiday and dont really like to patrol the campsite telling guests what they can and cannot do so have found that its much easier to have this conversation before people book - therefore if you are the type of group that enjoys staying up late, having a few drinks whilst listening to music and allowing your children run around the campsite past 9pm playing manhunt etc then you might be more suited to another campsite.
Can I reserve a particular pitch?
No, but .......
If you have stayed with us previously and would like to request a pitch / certain area of the campsite then we would do our best to accommodate this if possible but we never make any guarantees for a numer of reasons:
- Operational needs of the campsite come first and as we do not specify that everyone has to arrive / depart on the same day of the week so we do have to move bookings around within the same pitch type to butt up arrival and departure dates to free up pitches for other bookings.
- If someone else who booked further in advance has already made the same request then their request will take priority (unless they booked via a 3rd party booking website as we prioritise requests made via direct bookings over 3rd party bookings. Another reason why it's always best to #BOOK-DIRECT).
- Seasonal pitches - half of our pitches are taken by seasonal pitch holders therefore sometimes you could request a pitch that may be allocated to a seasonal and then not available for holiday bookings.
You need to be 100% happy that you may not be allocated your requested pitch before making a booking with us.
Can I bring more than one car?
Yes, but .........
Only our gold extra large grass pitches are suitable for 2 vehicles so if you have a second car you must book one of these pitches or we have a small carpark at the entrance if you book a standard pitch for an extra cost for your stay.
Can I bring my dog on holiday?
We are a dog friendly campsite.
We generally allow maximum 2 dogs per pitch however occasionally we may allow more depending on the time of year you want to come away so please get in touch via our contact us page to double check if you have more than 2 dogs.
We do ask that dogs are kept on a lead or tether at all times around the campsite and on your pitch for the following reasons:
- Even if you have a very well behaved / non reactive dog if they are off lead and innocently wander up to another dog on a lead / tether that other dog may not react so well having another dog enter their space.
- Some children (and adults) are afraid of dogs - no matter how big or small and would not like a strangers dog coming up to them.
- Wandering dogs tend to go to the toilet without their owners noticing.
We have a nature trail / woodland walk area on the campsite where you can let your four legged friend off their lead to have a sniff about, go to the toilet and have a play with any other doggy friends they may meet on the campsite.
Please note that our doggy area is not a large area intended for exercise - there are a number of beaches in the area where you can take your dog for a good amount of daily exercise.
Do you have a shop?
As we are so close to a number of supermarkets we do not have an on site shop available.
We do however keep a few 'essential' items for sale like: Gas, logs, kindling, firelights and matches for fire pits (which you can rent from us too).
Below is a list of our local shops and their distance to drive to from Polladras.
Spar - 4.4 miles
Lidl - 4.6 miles
Tesco - 5.2 miles
Sainsburys - 5 miles
Co-op 5.5 miles
about our Campsite
What are the campsite check in / check out times?
Bell Tent Hire
Check in - 3pm
Check out - 11am
Touring & Camping
Check in - 1pm
Check out - 11am
Check in - 4pm
Check out - 10am
Do you have on site entertainment?
We are a small family campsite and the only 'facilities' that we have to offer is a Arcade/games room, childrens play park which has a trampoline, sand pit, swings, climbing frame and ball games area with goal. This area is open from 9am - 9pm daily.
Do you have any food vans visit during the summer?
We have a takeaway and Pizza Van through the summer holidays
Check out our facebook page for updates
About our static caravans
Are your statics dog friendly?
Yes (two of them is)
Our Sapphire accepts 2 well behaved dogs.
Do your statics have WIFI?
All of our statics have free wifi. However certain factors out of our control may affect signal strength and consistency so you wont get the same speed as you do in your own home.
Volume of traffic - we have one wifi for our campsite & statics and even though we have a good overall download speed we have to limit the download speed per device connected so that there is enough internet for everyone.
What are the statics check in / check out times?
4pm / 10am
Our static guests can arrive from 4pm.
Accommodations must be fully departed by 10am.
making a booking
Do I need to book in advance?
No, but .......
We do allow drop ins and last minute bookings but we recommend booking in advance. Even outside of the school holidays we are very busy with those travelling without children and generally get booked up well in advance.
Can I book for 1 night only?
Can I get a refund if I cancel my holiday or leave early?
We do not operate a cancellation scheme; once payment has been received no refunds will be given on deposits or full balances.
Holiday cancellation insurance is the responsibility of the customer.
However depending on circumstances of cancellation we may allow you to transfer a portion of what you have paid towards another holiday within 12 months.
Please CLICK HERE to view our full terms and conditions.
Can I get to polladras using public transport? Train / Bus / Plane?
There are a couple of options if you either don't drive or live a long way away and don't want to drive all the way to Cornwall.
Train & Bus
Our closest major train station is camborne which is just under 7.5 miles from Polladras.
From here you can then catch the number 39 bus to carleen which stops at the top of our road.
Or you could get a taxi which would take about 30 minutes.
Fly & Hire a Car
You can now fly into Cornwall from several UK and European airports. Newquay airport is only 38 miles from Polladras.
You can then get a taxi or hire a car from the airport and drive to us.
Whats your post code?
Can I arrange an early check in if i want to travel through the night?
Unfortunately we cannot pre-plan early arrivals as we do not have anywhere on site for you to park up and wait for departures to leave.
If you want to travel in the early hours of the morning you would need to find somewhere else suitable to park up and wait. Cornwall Services on the A30 is a good option and is the only major services on the A30 with parking for caravans in the summer holidays it can become very busy and you might not get a space so make sure you have a back up plan.
You can then phone the campsite from 9am to see if your pitch is ready - if it is and we have no pitch maintenance to do (grass cutting etc) then we are generally happy for you to head on over early.
Alternatively you could book the pitch for the evening prior to your arrival and we would then allow you to arrive on site from 9am. We cannot allow any arrivals too early as this could disturb other guests.
local area & getting around
Can I catch the bus from the campsite?
If you are travelling without a car or don't want to have to worry about parking catching the bus is a great option.
We have a bus services that stop at the top of the village.
The number 39 from Helston to camborne from her you can catch other buses or a train from camborne.
here is the 39 bus timetable
Is it easy to get a taxi?
We use a local company that live in the village called Dan Dan the taxi Man
Can you recommend any great days out with the kids?
Our obvious option is the beach!
But if you are looking for a few different ideas in case its not beach weather when you are staying with us here are a few of our favorite days out with kids in tow and the distance to get to them from Polladras:
- helston railway - 3.3 miles
- Flambards Theme Park - 5.1 miles
- Paradise Park - 7.2 miles
- Cornish Seasl Sanctuary - 8.1 miles
- Screech Owl Sanctuary - 35.5 miles
- Bodmin Jail - 45 miles
- Eden Project - 39.2miles
- The Lost Gardens of Heligan - 34.1 miles
- Giant Slip & Slide -39.6 miles
- Cornish Bird of Prey Centre - 39.9 miles
- Cycle the Camel Trail - If you have your own bikes you can cycle straight from the campsite onto the Camel trail - 46.3 miles
- Hire bikes from Wadebridge to cycle The Camel Trail, park in Piggy Lane car park behing Lidl - Bridge bike hire - Camel trail cycle hire